The cost to build a timber frame house of course varies according to the individual specification. Here is a budget guide for a design and build service (in which Vision Development will manage all trades and suppliers on your behalf).
You should expect a total construction cost of around £120 per square foot or £1,291 per square metre of floor area. If you manage the trades and suppliers yourself then this cost can be reduced.
In addition to the construction costs there are a number of other costs which will need to be factored in. These are identified below.
Land, Survey, Design & Planning
- Land purchase and stamp duty
- Legal fees
- Architectural design and feasibility
- Soil survey if required
- Land survey
- Local Authorities planning application fees
- Any additional surveys required to support your application (i.e. Tree, environmental, bat, ecological surveys which are regularly requested)
- Section 106 payments for the local infrastructure. i.e. Education, Highways, local Library etc ( This figure can be as much as £35,000)
- Chancellery fees (contributions paid to local church purse)
- Building Regulations drawings and application
Each local authority will have a different criteria for planning. If you are considering buying a plot of land a call to your local Building Control is a must as they will have probably overseen other works in the area and will be able to advise on likely ground conditions. This will only be a guide a full soil survey is recommended if there are any doubts. Trees within the build area can seriously affect the depth and cost of foundations. Check local applications approved in your area and you will get a good idea of what the 106 and survey requirements are or arrange a visit to meet the Duty Planning Officer for your district.
- Drainage connection for foul water